Sunday, April 3, 2011

Blog Post #10



An Open Letter To Educators

Morgan Bayda in her post made many great points that I agree with and one that I did not like in Dan Brown's video. Some of the points that she made that stood out to me is that schools in North America are stuck in teaching styles which seem like they are from hundreds of years ago. Also she says she feels cheated from these long lectured class's and coming from my own personal experience I agree with her. When I attend these stone age teaching class's I catch myself zoning out because of boredom. I wish teacher's in all levels of teaching would take time and put some effort in to making there teaching plan creative. Students of all ages would benefit from better interactive teachers than just facts to be remembered. In Dan Brown video he made many great points that Morgan made on her post, but the thing that stuck with me the most is when he said he drop out of school because his reasoning was that his school was interfering with his education. Now I understand the point he is trying to make and before I say anything this is strictly my own opinion that he is now only hurting himself. Even though he feels he is being held down in his education and even if it he is its only for a short time period. What I am trying to say here is that if he suffered through a few years more of college he could show the world his own teaching style instead of bailing out with tail tuck between his legs and not proving anything. Brown seems like a very smart individual and if stuck through school he could have change lives of many through his way of teaching. I hope in the future Brown realizes his mistake of quiting school and finishes college.


Tom Johnson's Don't Let Them Take The Pencils Home!

This post was very inspiring and insightful to me. I took this post as do not be afraid to try new teaching styles and see what works and what doesn't. I feel like majority of teachers throws information at you just retain it to test time. I feel if teachers try to make teaching more interactive they would see a better result in more students.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Duane,
    I read your post and I couldn't agree more about the marginal benefits of monotonous lecturing and memorization. I commented on my blog that I would be hard pressed to tell you anything in depth about classes I had last semester. You are probably right about Dan; if he would just stick it out in school he can help make the changes he wants from the inside, rather than the outside. I suppose all people are different and have justified their actions to themselves somehow.
    Have a great semester Duane,
    Kevin White

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like Morgan Bayda's and Tom Johnson's post go together in a way. I do agree that it is important for teachers to try new teacheing styles and not be scared which is also what I got from Tom's post. I also agree with Morgan when she stated that "North America is stuck in ancient teaching styles" this is so true! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Duane,
    I agree with you 1oo%. I think more creative lesson plans should be required. However, once a lesson lan is complete teachers are not thinking about how to make it more exciting and interesting so that the student may learn. That would be too much like RIGHT!! LOL.. Anyway I think your blog is great and you are doing a great job. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete